Cucumbers for toddlers? Why not?
It’s even good for babies. In fact, the site ParentingHealthyBabies recommends introducing it to a baby’s diet when they are between 8 and 10 months old. Cucumbers are definitely healthy foods for kids, especially when they have no known components that may trigger allergic reactions among infants and toddlers. Pesticide residue in it is also minimal compared to other veggies and fruits.
If you want a healthier kid, start giving yours cucumber. Here are some of the best reasons to do so.
Vitamin Rich: Cucumbers are rich in vitamins C, A, B6, E and K. Moreover, it is rich in niacin, thiamin and folate. These vitamins are essential to your kid’s health. Just look at its arsenal of vitamins, which include the following:
- Vitamin C: This is good for your kid’s immune system and is actually an antioxidant that repairs broken cells.
- Vitamin A: This is good for eyesight and skin health.
- Vitamin B6: This vitamin is vital for amino acid metabolism, neuro-transmission, and hemoglobin health, to name a few.
- Vitamin E: It is good for neurological functions, hinders platelet aggregation and fights free radical damage.
- Vitamin K: This is needed for blood coagulation and bone metabolism.
- Niacin is Vitamin B3. This is helpful in balancing cholesterol levels and decreasing cardiovascular risks.
- Thiamine is Vitamin B1. This helps prevent digestive problems, unhealthy appetite, diarrhea, ulcers, inflammation of the nerves, and beriberi, among others.
Aside from Vitamin C acting as an antioxidant, cucumber has other antioxidants that prevent free radical damage and scavenging. When food is metabolized, free radicals are naturally formed and they steal electrons from other cells. In the process, they destroy tissues and even the DNA cell itself, which can result to serious diseases. Antioxidants can fight this by giving away electrons to neutralize free radicals for good. [INPOSTLB]
Good for Re-hydration
Being rich in water content, cucumber is ideal for juicing. It lends a natural sweet flavor kids will love. You can also mix the juice with other fruit juices like carrots, turnips, and watermelons. Instead of giving kids soda, sweetened beverages or soft drinks, cucumber juice is a very delicious and healthy alternative.
Stomach Problem Remedy
Cucumbers also help eliminate stomach problems, especially acidity. Eating cucumber or juicing it quickly neutralizes stomach acidity. It is also a good cure for other stomach ailments, such as duodenal and gastric ulcers, and even bloating. The cucumber juice can be effective for babies and kids suffering from gas pains due to indigestion.
Intro to Veggies and Fruits
Finally, cucumbers are an excellent introduction to veggies and fruits. Toddlers get a good idea of what veggies and fruits are through this mild tasting and easy to eat plant food. Just get rid of the seeds and crush the cucumber flesh.
These only justify why cucumbers are totally healthy foods for kids. Just thinking about these benefits is enough to get you excited to start juicing and preparing cucumbers for your kids now.